Sliding into the season!

Sliding into the season!

By: Leighlah Silva 

It is that time of year again, baseball season has started here at PHS! The head coach, Coach Standley, has some high expectations for his team. “Our goal is to win the district championship”, last year they made it very far and enjoyed every moment of it. Coach Standley is most sure that these young men have what it takes to go far. The tryout requirements involved tracking the speed of a throw, hitting a baseball off of a “Tee”, and also tracking the speed of that, they have a timed mile-and-a–half run, and they are required to catch pop flies while saying “ball,ball,ball”. 

Coach Standley has coached baseball for twenty six years as a head coach. This is his fifth year at Pleasanton as a head coach, unfortunately his first year at Pleasanton was cut short due to Covid-19. Coach Standley played baseball all his life including college baseball. “I’m a very competitive person and I grew up playing baseball. I’ve played college baseball. It’s anatomy to help kids become better people, fathers, sons, husbands. Baseball tides in with all that very well”. Baseball has been Coach Stanley’s way to meet these wonderful young men and teach them ways to be better on the field, in the classroom, and outside of the classroom.We wish the baseball team a good season and hope to see them at district championship. Pride, Pride!