National Cancer Prevention Month
By: Letizia Perrino
National cancer prevention month was established in 1938 by president FDR. He proclaimed April as National Cancer Control Month.
Now February is the month dedicated to the raising of awareness for cancer prevention and treatment throughout the United States.
This month is an opportunity to spread the word and take action in order to live better, healthier, and happier lives.
Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world, causing millions of deaths every year.
Thanks to this month people had learn ways to prevent cancer like:
- Reduce or eliminate the use of tobacco, smoking is one of the main causes of mouth,lung, throat, pancreas, voice box and bladder cancer.
- Eat healthy, it’s recommended to eat fruit and vegetables, limit the use of processed meat and alcohol.
- Do physical activities and maintain a healthy weight.
- Protecting the skin from the sun, using suncream, staying in the shade or covering your skin will prevent skin cancer.
- Get regular medical care, this could help cure a possible cancer as soon as possible.
Be aware of these tips that will prevent cancer, will reduce both the incidence of cancer and the mortality.
Researchers have in fact showed that at least 40% of all cancer diagnosed can be attributed to preventable causes, like smoking, excess body weight, physical inactivity, and excessive exposure to the sun.
Therefore National Cancer Prevention Month is important because it teaches people simple ways that will keep them away from cancer and it also highlights the fact that cancer is one of the main causes of death nowadays.