Halloween Movie Recommendations

By: Kori Miller

One of the best elements of the spooky season is its movies. Many timeless horror movies draw inspiration or a setting from Halloween, making for some timeless classics to watch over and over again. So this October, I’m going to put some of my all-time favorites into the spotlight. I tried to primarily include movies you probably haven’t seen, so enjoy!

Hereditary (2018, R) – Starting the list off strong is a psychological folk-horror that’ll disturb you long after the credits have rolled. Hereditary is an Ari Aster film that follows the estranged happenings that come across the Grahams after their matriarch passes away. Things seem to keep getting worse for the family, and I guarantee you’ll never be able to predict the ending. 10/10

Little Shop Of Horrors (1986, PG-13) – If horror isn’t quite your style, Little Shop Of Horrors might be. It’s a dark comedy musical about a man-eating plant that also happens to be an amazing singer. We follow Seymour, an unfortunate employee at a floral shop after he comes across a fly-trap looking plant with a taste for human flesh. Unsure of what to do, he entertains it… But how long exactly can that go on? 8/10

The Fly (1986, R) – Sometimes all you need to complete your Halloween night is a bit of good ol’ fashioned body horror. The Fly is a film about science, teleportation and… A human fly hybrid. Yeah, it’s pretty gross. 8/10

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988, PG-13) – The title for this one is kind of self-explanatory. Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a classic movie about teenagers being terrorized by, you guessed it, killer clowns from outer space. It’s quirky, bizarre, bordering abstract, and a lot of fun to watch with friends. 6/10

Raw (2016, R) – This French movie isn’t exactly for the weak-stomached. A vegetarian girl entering veterinary school partakes in her first bite of flesh as a part of the school’s initiation and immediately undergoes a strange transformation in cravings. She simply cannot get enough meat, no matter where it comes from… including humans. 9/10

What We Do in the Shadows (2014, R) – Ending on a lighter note, What We Do in the Shadows is a mockumentary-style comedy written by and starring Taika Waititi. It follows a group of vampires from various time periods living together in a flat in New Zealand, and they don’t exactly get along. Our characters spend a majority of the runtime arguing about the dishes or whose turn it is to take out the trash. It’s an ironic setting for immortal killing machines and a perfect spooky comedy. 10/10 

Well, those are the handful of films I’ve selected as my go-to’s for the season. I hope you find something you’ll love this fright night, and please remember to stay in and stay safe! Happy Halloween!

Honorable Mentions: Edward Scissorhands (1990, PG-13), Gremlins (1984, PG), Midsommar (2019, R), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007, R), Heathers (1988, R).